Wednesday, October 19, 2011

For Good...

I couldn't stop thinking about him on my run this morning.  A 17 year old boy in a prison in Uganda with a smile that captured my heart.  I was so nervous on this particular day because it was all older kids...and I am a little kid kind of girl.  I felt a little lost at first, not sure how to connect with any of the kids and not sure any of them really wanted to connect with a dorky muzungu (white person) anyway!:)
But Patrick made me less nervous.  He had a bright smile and loved to joke which helped with my nerves.  We spent some time small talking before I asked him about Jesus.  When I asked if he knew Jesus he told me yes.  He knew that Jesus was a prophet and good man but that he did not believe that Jesus was the son of God.  You see Patrick is Muslim...his entire family is Muslim.  But each week because of the work of SixtyFeet Patrick and others like him have the opportunity to hear the message of the gospel.  Each week the children in the prisons where SixtyFeet is working are given the chance to learn that Jesus is more than a good man...he is THE man...Jesus is God's own son who was sent to die for our sins.


As I thought of and prayed for Patrick this morning.  I couldn't help but to think of the story of Joseph where God used seemingly awful circumstances for Joseph's good.  My greatest prayer for Patrick is that God will use this difficult time in his life to draw Patrick to Himself.  The greatest good that could possibly come out of Patrick's time in prison is for him to meet Jesus for the real savior that he is.  I believe we serve a God who can change not only Patrick's heart but also the hearts of his family when he is able to finally go home...maybe even his entire village.

I am so thankful that we serve a God who is in the business of making beauty from our ashes.  Would you join in praying for Patrick and the other precious children who are imprisoned in Uganda and around the world?

No comments: