Monday, May 23, 2011

Worth it...

I heard something the other day that has been rolling around in my head and heart...

"Some things are so important that they are worth doing even if you do them poorly"

At first I wasn't sure what to make of that statement but the more I think about it the more it makes sense to me.


You see I am the girl who would desperately love for everything to be just right...I want  cute paper if I am going to journal or write a note of encouragement.  I want the right shoes if I am going to start running.  I want the right words if I am going to be speaking... the right devotional if I am going to be sharing with my children.  I could go on and on and on. 

But here is the truth...sometimes I never even get around to doing some really important, even eternal,  things because I am waiting for the circumstances to be perfect or to have just the right things in place.

When in all actuality the encouragement note may be just what that person was needing and I didn't do it because I didn't have the perfect paper.

Or what about having the right words...the bible makes it clear that we are to share our faith...but how many times have chosen not to just because I felt like I didn't have the perfect words.  He is God for crying out loud...he used a donkey...he can certainly use my words, poor as they may be!

There have been moments that I have skipped sharing about our Savior with my boys because I couldn't find the perfect devotional or once again I didn't think my words were what they needed to be.  This is where that quote got me the most.  While I know that God wants my very best and that excellence is something to strive for, I also think He would rather me share His word and teachings with my children even if it is not done perfectly than to not do it at all.

The lesson I have taken from this quote is this...

Stop waiting, stop trying to make everything perfect before you get started.  Start with what you have, right where you are at...even if your attempts are poor and feeble, keep going...HE is in the perfecting business and HE can take your meager offerings and make them all that they need to be.


I know that this is true because of His word...

Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.  Philippians 1:6

He began this work in us and He will complete it...that is such a wonderful encouragement!!

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.  Ephesians 2:10

I love knowing that there are good works that God has already prepared for me to do!  He expects action and not apathy from me!

But He said to me "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in your weakness."

Lord Jesus, would you take my weaknesses and use them to perfect your power...that you would receive glory and honor and that your name would be made great.  Would you give me the strength to start and to keep going and to allow your perfecting power to perform miracles in my life, in our home, in our church, in the world.  Take my thoughts captive and no longer let me drawn to apathy but action.  Let me not wait for the perfect circumstances but actively follow your calling in my daily life.  You are the God who moves mountains and changes seasons, you are a great God...there is none like you....you are Holy.   You perform miracles and display your power among the people...would you display your power in my weaknesses sweet Lord!!

1 comment:

Janelle said...

Good Stuff - Jenna! We all struggle with this I think, I know I do too - I not only put it off because it is not "just right" I like to preserve that which is "just right" for the right moment instead of celebrating today with what I have. Anyway, good thoughts my friend!!
~Janelle